A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

Stephen Crane

Friday, December 28, 2007

Splish, splash . . .

On "Today in Literature" they have a nice little article about H. L. Mencken, who I think I would have liked. Give it a look. I found it somehow disturbing and comforting to see how little things have changed.

吸い取り紙が字を吸ひとらぬやおになった
The blotting paper/Won't blot/Any more.
                                                      -Hoosai

1 comment:

  1. I often hate the fact that I was not by my mothers side when she passed. I feel she must have been so scared and knew she was alone with strangers trying to keep her from dying, inevitably. I had been there every day but not the morning she passed, all too suddenly as well. I have to look at the bright side that that memory would probably haunt me more then the one that haunts me of not being there. The thought in my head is probably not as horrible as what actually took place. I feel for Michelle but agree with you, Guy. I hope she's okay.

    ReplyDelete

Print this post