A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

Stephen Crane

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thank you falettinme be mice elf...

Today's entry on the OUPblog has some interesting things to say about the mythology of Thanksgiving day. I have always found it interesting that even in this article we are told the primary reason for the Pilgrim's coming to the new world was their search for religious freedom.

That's not exactly how I see it.

There is no doubt they were looking for a place where they would be free to practice their religion as they saw fit; but they in no way felt compelled to grant this freedom to others. Once they got here they were as intolerant of other beliefs and practices as Ferdinand and Isabella. Several years ago I spent quite a bit of time looking up the family history—or least those bits i could find. I'm pretty sure a couple of my great grand-fathers were either in witness protection programs, or aliens. But I stray from the topic. If I remember correctly, one of my ancestors that took advantage of the fact that the local tribes had a rather undeveloped Homeland Security Agency was expelled from the town in disgrace because he dared to differ on matters of scripture. Apparently he was free to practice his religion as long as it was exactly the way they said to. Seems oddly familiar.

Anyway, even though it's a holiday based on rampant, if not total, untruths, my wife and I still spend the day enjoying each other's company, and giving thanks that we are blessed with family and friends we probably don't deserve. May you also give thanks for the love in your life.

大根を煮た夕飯の子供達の中にいる
Boiled daikon for supper/Sitting among the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print this post